Thursday, January 14, 2010

Whiteness Confirmed

This won't be the last time I address jumpability as a racialized concept (that's right, jumpability). In fact, I might devote an entire week in April to Woody and Wesley and the basic premise that White Men Can't Jump, as well as the corollary that other people can by virtue of their pigmentation. A consideration of this racial stereotype is actually pivotal to my project because it addresses one if its underlying concerns: determining whether my character and abilities are steered by hard work and ingenuity or if they are mere functions of a hardwired set of circumstances.

All of this is to say that at present, according to a pretty unscientific self-administered test, I can't jump very high. Now, is it because my legs are weak or because my great-grandmother was from Poland?

I'm pulling hard for the former. It's easier to perform squat thrusts than it is to replant the family tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment