Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Jest, But...

The funny thing is that I actually find it very difficult to multi-task on a large scale: it's comforting to "take it one game at a time", especially when the "game" in question is actually a very meaningful aspect of life, like searching for a home to purchase.

This type of activity requires long-term planning and committed follow-through. If you put it on the back burner to focus on the responsibilities of daily work, the process grinds to a halt or is poorly done. I tend to shy away from this process.

On the other hand, I find it relatively easy to juggle many trivial short-term demands, or in a different vein, to manage friendships and other relationships.

I also find it relatively easy to wear sweat pants for an extended period of time. Doesn't make it a virtue.

However, I'm pretty sure that if I obsess about dunking a basketball for the next 9 months I will become a more responsible person, more committed to the process of long-term planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment